Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum Inaugurates
The 19th Edition of DUPHAT and Announce the Re-Launch of the IFM
In March 10th 2013, H.H. Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil Aviation Authority, Chairman of Dubai Airports and Chairman and Chief Executive of Emirates Airline & Group inaugurated the 19th edition of the Dubai International Pharmaceuticals & Technologies Conference & Exhibition – (DUPHAT) at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre. His Highness Sheikh Ahmed was accompanied by H.E. Eng. Essa Al Maidoor, Director General of Dubai Health Authority and a number of local and international representatives and heads of delegations.
Following the traditional inauguration ceremony and the ribbon-cutting, H.H. Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum announced that Dubai will host for the first time the International Family Medicine Conference and Exhibition (IFM) which will be held next year in conjunction with DUPHAT Conference and Exhibition. The IFM will attract an enormous number of specialists in family medicine, general practitioners and primary health care. The IFM will attract more than 10,000 doctors and specialists in family medicine and primary health care. It is worth mentioning that the (IFM) is supported by the International Alliance of Family Medicine.
Dr. Abdul Salam Al Madani, Executive Chairman of DUPHAT Conference and Exhibition said: “The DUPHAT Conference and Exhibition took place in a time where the medical sector is witnessing a tremendous and rapid development within its subsidiaries in general and the pharmaceutical field in particular. The pharmaceutical sector has become a vital sector in the medical field which effects highly on the therapeutic process and assists in providing integrated services for patients.”
Dr. Al Madani also added: “A number of international associations and organizations supports DUPAHT such as: the American Society of Health System Pharmacists, the Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia, European Society of Clinical Pharmacy, European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences, European Society of Oncology Pharmacy, Canadian Pharmacists Association, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Clinical Toxicology, Saudi Pharmaceutical Society, Universiteit Utrecht – The Netherlands, the Dubai Health Authority and Index Health management.”
This year, the DUPHAT conference hosted more than 20 scientific sessions and 30 workshops in addition to 450 scientific posters whom are prepared by students and specialists. Moreover, DUPHAT presented more than 27 scientific presentations delivered by students of pharmacy.
Moreover, DUPHAT hosted spectacular activities; 12 presentations presented during the three days of the conference and delivered by the Saudi Pharmaceutical Society, there was also a special workshop feature from KSA, a full day workshop about medicine economics, four presentations by medical companies in addition to four management workshops.
The DUPHAT conference and exhibition is classified as one of the largest events dedicated to the pharmaceutical field and related technologies, as it is approved and accredited by the Dubai Health Authority in addition to a number of international scientific organizations specialized in this field. The exhibition will host more than 350 international manufacturers, distributors and pharmaceutical companies from over 73 countries. Exhibiting companies will showcase their latest products and concepts from the pharmaceutical industry to attract visitors from different parts of the world including Middle East, Indian Sub –Continent and North African Region.
Dr. Ali Al Sayed, Director of Pharmaceutical Services Department at the Dubai Health Authority and Chairman of DUPHAT Conference said: “we tend to follow the strategic policy adopted by our government which indicates involving society in prestigious international and scientific forums such as DUPHAT. Therefore, we are keen to enhance the awareness among every member of society. Moreover, school students presented more than 10 artistic posters that features general health aspects, developing of health awareness among the community and enhancing their energy and creativity, in addition to developing communities’ awareness about heir health because they are the most important criteria in society.”
DUPHAT has always been diligent to develop the creativity and professionalism in the pharmacy students and encourage them to be more creative and professional while competing at scientific competitions hosted by DUPHAT every year. The competitions which are held during DUPHAT are unique and different than any other scientific competitions, the scientific competitions include: scientific posters competition presented by specialists in the pharmaceutical field, scientific posters presented by college students and scientific posters presented school students.
The outstanding topics and diversified competitions featured during DUPHAT conference this year are unique and were presented for the first time in the world. Five awards where announced during DUPHAT including: the Pharmacist of the Year, the Scientist of the Year, the Pharmaceutical Leader of the Year, the Outstanding Pharmaceutical Company of the Year and the Most Unique Pharmaceutical Innovation of the Year.
At the end of the third day, the scientific committee had released the DUPHAT 2013 Conference recommendations:
- Promote post graduation continuing education programs and provide diversity of workshops for training purposes. In addition to addressing systematic approach in Pharmacy practice for better healthcare
- Enhance awareness towards the importance of patient education and quality assurance techniques as part of good pharmacy practice and encourage patients to report any adverse drug reaction, or side effects due to misuse of improper medicine.
- Encourage pharmacists’ participation in reporting and treating all adverse drug reactions related to use of medications which include:
- Continuous professional training.
- Communication and coordination with physicians and nursing staff inside the facility.
- Measure the positive outcomes that are achieved by pharmacists from reporting and analysis of adverse drug reactions.
- Spread awareness between all medical crew to adhere to using medical prescriptions and to avoid dispensing medications without prescriptions except for approved OTC’s.
- Assessing the impacts of pharmacoeconomics on healthcare and on safe use of medications in all health systems, in addition to implementing safe practice and most recent technologies in relation to medication awareness and patient safety.
- Support Nanotechnology initiatives to deliver therapeutic modalities for better patient care.
- WHO/ FIP and UAE guidelines on good pharmacy practice that should be implemented, evaluated and documented by National Health Authorities.
- Need to focus on safe drug delivery to patients through support to a competent supply chain systems, industrially and regulatory, in an aim to avoid counterfeit products and to provide quality pharmaceuticals.
- Medication adherence is a serious healthcare problem which requires further studies and actions by healthcare system.
On the sidelines of the event, an award ceremony was held during DUPHAT Conference and Exhibition to honour the participants, organisers and sponsors of DUPHAT. The ceremony was attended by heads of delegates, members of the scientific committee, while H.E. Khalid Ahmed Al Sheikh Mubarak, Deputy Director General – Dubai Health Authority handed the awards and expressed his gratitude for all those who contributed to the success of the conference.
Dr. Ibrahim Al Sara’ the Chairman of the Saudi Association for Pharmacy handed the Pharmaceutical Treaty – which is an honorary award written by King Abdul Aziz Al Saud, to Dr. Ali Al Sayed the Chairman of DUPHAT Conference for his endless efforts in lifting the type of services of the pharmaceutical field and his outstanding role for boosting the development of the pharmaceutical sector through the years. It is worth mentioning that this is the first time the Saudi Association for Pharmacy grants this honor for a scientific personality outside KSA.